San Diego Tamale Pie
A great dish that can be made and frozen for later.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 can (12oz) whole kernel corn, drained (or frozen)
- 2 cans (8oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (10oz) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4oz) diced green chilies drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can (about 6 oz) pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups (6oz) shredded cheddar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sprinkle salt in wide frying pan over medium heat.
When hot, add beef and cook until browned and crumbly.
Stir in onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft.
Remove from heat and discard excess fat.
Stir in the pepper, cornmeal, corn, tomato paste, enchilada sauce, chilies, chili powder, olives and milk.
Pour into a greased shallow 3 quart casserole.
Bake uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle cheese evenly over top and continue to bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is bubbly.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Prep and active time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes